Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Photos From The Summer of My Twelfth Year

Photos From the Summer of My Twelfth Year was inspired by a weekend trip to Coney Island. I was reminded of annual vacations to the beach boardwalk in Santa Cruz, CA. Every summer we would travel in the family Suburban for two hours to escape the Sacramento Valley heat. The highlight of the trip was the day we’d spend at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. I would try my luck at the carnival games, ride the Giant Dipper roller coaster at least 10 times, and savor a greasy corn dog. This was the summer I was on the verge of “growing up”, that awkward time when you’re not a child and you’re not yet a teenager. It was when everything was exciting and frightening at the same time. You were well on your way to being an adult, but you still had a long way to go.

In these photos I have tried to create the look and feel of photos from that year. When I look at the family albums the color of the photos has faded and the grain of the film is obvious. The colors are a mix of old 60’s and 70’s and the futuristic 1980’s. The composition is basic. In this series I tried to re-create the typical tourist's snapshot.

These are my memories.













7 comments:

gibbe said...

Wow---does that image of the bar across the lap bring back memories. You wondered why it was needed until the ride was under full speed !!!!!! A great image Kerry--good work

Unknown said...

I want a print of the one on top!

Oscar said...

I think the images you have here fit perfectly well with each other and will make a great collection because they all share a common tone and meaning

Gogolab said...

I LOVE your series !!! you're really talented ! Try to go to France and to follow a photography program (it's cheaper than the US...)

jbkopstein said...

ahh so beautiful; they have a wonderful "outdated" feel, yet the colours are so vibrant and appealing. fab!! i'm excited to see them printed.

Anonymous said...

i think that these would be awesome as prints as well. what are you printing on? i can imagine it on matte so that it has that aged look... but whatever you chose, i think it'll be quite beautiful. i enjoyed reading your artist statement, gives good insight into the work.

amanda

Rosy said...

I absolutely love your pictures, the color, the mood, everything, it's really cool that you're using that lens because today that makes your photographs unique and as if they were your own signature. excellent!!!